Kanakuk Develops Child Protection Plan
Branson, Mo.—In 2009, the unthinkable happened at one of the nation’s largest Christian athletic summer camps – Kanakuk. Inspired by the unfortunate events and taking into consideration the alarming statistics surrounding childhood sexual abuse, Kanakuk worked diligently to further develop effective measures to protect children. The Kanakuk Child Protection Plan is a step-by-step, comprehensive safety system to prevent, detect or respond to physical, emotional, verbal, and sexual abuse in youth and children's programming, specifically summer camping programs.
Kanakuk Kamps is not only implementing its Child Protection Plan within, it is on a mission to train others and ultimately, prevent child abuse. To date, more than 150 youth organizations nationwide have been trained on the strategies contained within the Kanakuk Child Protection Plan with a goal for 1,000 overnight summer camps in the U.S. to receive the same training within the next 3 to 5 years.
Knowing that abuse is more than physical, the Kanakuk Child Protection Plan serves as one of the most comprehensive safety systems in the country—offering more than 240 identifiable and measurable protection elements across six key abuse management fields: Operational Support, Grounds/Facilities, Staffing, Training/Orientation, Monitor/Reporting, and Crisis Response.
2013 Seminar Calendar:
- October 17: Texas - Forest Glen Camp , Rosebud, Texas
- November 8: New York - Word of Life Conference Center , Schroon Lake, NY
- December 13: Colorado - Glen Eyrie Conference Center , Colorado Springs, Colo.
2014 Seminar Calendar:
- January 21: California—Mariners Church/Royal Family Kids, Irvine, Calif.
- February 4: Florida—Camp Gilead, Polk City, Fla.
- March 20: Massachusetts—Camp Good News, Sandwich, Mass.
- April 2014: Location to be announced
For a complete listing of upcoming seminars, visit: http://kanakukchildprotection.org/seminar.