By Maria Nerius
Some of my fondest camp memories are of sweet treats made around the campfire (S’mores!) and a few made at arts and crafts (cereal necklaces and gumdrop trees). There just seems to be an extra dash of youthful motivation when the end result is edible!
Butterflies in Flight
• Tissue paper
• Smarties candies or equivalent
• Chenille stem
• Hot glue with glue gun or confectionary glue
• Optional: Tinzel pom poms
1. Cut a butterfly wing pattern. Hand-gather tissue down the center between the wings.
2. Fold chenille stem in half. Place center of stem to the center of the wings. Twist chenille stem twice to hold wings and then bring raw ends up to create butterfly antennae.
3. Glue wings to wrapped candy roll. Glue pom poms to end of antennae.
- - - - - - - -
• 2 Hershey’s Kisses
• Silver and pink cardstock or paper
• Hot glue or confectionary glue
• Wiggly eyes
1. Cut out two outer ears from silver paper and two inner ears from pink paper. Glue inner ear to outer ear.
2. Glue ears to the top fat side of a Hershey Kiss and then glue the two fat ends together.
3. Cut a long thin strip of silver paper rounding one end. Glue this strip to one of the small pointed ends of the Hershey’s Kisses. Your mouse has a tail!
4. Glue two wiggly eyes to other small tip end of candy kiss. Your mouse has eyes!
• 2 egg whites
• 3 cups powdered sugar
Place egg whites and powdered sugar into large bowl and beat until stiff. Do not store any leftover confectionery glue
- - - - - - - -
Other Candy Fun
You can find more fun candy crafts at the following Web sites:
• Family Fun: http://familyfun.go.com
• Hershey’s Holidays:www.hersheyholidays.com/recipes/index.asp
• Angelfire: www.angelfire.com/nm/soap/candy.html
• Candy USA: www.candyusa.org
Maria Nerius has been designing and writing craft projects for 15 years and is the craft expert at CreateForLess.com. If you have questions, comments, have craft ideas of your own, or would like to see a particular craft in an upcoming issue, e-mail Maria at firstname.lastname@example.org.